Some Labor Day Observations.

Here we are, at the Labor Day holiday. A day off work, the last day of summer vacation for school students, and RELIEF on the way for beleaguered  moms who’ve been hearing cries of “I’m BORED” since mid June.

I have a different take on Labor Day, and would like to share it here.

What Does Labor Day Mean?

In years past, we celebrated this day by remembering those who toil in all fields of endeavor, from farm hands, to factory workers, to doctors, nurses, lawyers, and Indian chiefs. Truck drivers, mechanics, hair dressers, teachers, rubbish collectors, chefs, waiters and waitresses, clerks, etc etc, the plethora of occupations is too long to list, so I’ll just take this line to thank all those who toil to make our lives fuller, richer, healthier, better informed, well-fed, cleaner, and by making, delivering, selling, servicing all the things we take for granted in our daily lives.

But, not all is rosy for our laboring people today. We have a Leviathan of a federal government hell-bent to impose IT’S way upon us, instead of US imposing OUR way on them.

From the insane tax and regulatory policies from this out-of -control government that have driven the bulk of our formerly good-paying, skilled manufacturing jobs overseas, to the dwindling, yet VERY vocal organized labor machine, whose leadership has pretty much hijacked this holiday, whose demands, and unwillingness to negotiate in MANY areas, have simply put labor costs out of the reach of a large number of  manufacturers, to the ever-increasing gains made by automation, and computer technologies, while making great strides in per man-hour productivity, has taken away it’s share of opportunity in manufacturing as well.

The days of quitting one’s good-paying job, and finding another before days’ end are long gone. The good jobs that have been sent away, never to return with more to follow IF we do not get people elected in places of power with the desire to see America succeed, our economy has, and will continue to suffer mightily for it.

As a small example, a while back I did some posts on the relatively recent boom in oil and gas production, using a process known as “fracking”, or hydraulic well fracturing.  These jobs, for the most part, are good-paying, high-growth potential jobs, many without the requirement of a college-education. The earning potential, as far as I can glean from various sources, puts the pay range from $ 35,000 per year, up to $95,000. THERE is the EXACT numbers for the much-vaunted, but SEVERELY abused “middle class”.

Yet we have, on the left, in government and out, as usual, those who do not want this boom in any way, shape or form. We’ve heard the lies, we’ve heard the wailing and moaning of the enviro-wacko left about how this is no good, yada yada yada, but, since 2011, the U.S. has been out-producing OPEC in oil and gas production. Leading us away from dependence on foreign oil sources, such as the OPEC nations.

I’ll take WELL-PAYING JOBS for our people, and lessening our need for foreign energy sources ANY DAY over what the left wants for us.

I’ve gone on way long here, but to wrap it up, again, my thanks to those in all types of endeavors, the fruit of what you do makes life better for us all. May we strive to get those in place who will recognize WORK for the very vital role it plays not only for our economic benefit, but for our esteem, and sense of self-worth as well. A nation of people sitting around waiting for government handouts will soon have ZERO reason to celebrate anything, let alone such a concept as Labor Day. Enjoy your barbecue, day at the beach, or whatever you choose to do.

~

Clyde

Tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Some Labor Day Observations.

Great post, Clyde. Many people, especially those waiting for the handouts, don’t have a clue what this day is all about. You are absolutely right in that we may soon have nothing to celebrate as the labor force continues to dwindle.

• Clyde says:

Thanks, Kathy. What with this idiotic government policy of rewarding freeloaders, by PUNISHING the industrious, has ALWAYS been a recipe for disaster.

2. Wendy says:

Indeed! Thanks to all who work for a living. Terry & I are retired now, but we’ve both been working since we were teenagers. I was so proud to get my first paycheck!!! The SLACKERS will never have that feeling of PROUD!

• Garnet92 says:

So true, Wendy. I am also retired after working since I was fifteen. I daresay that 47% of our nation knows little about real labor and the satisfaction of seeing the fruits thereof – the most that they can say is that it was hard filling out the welfare forms or applying for their EBT card.

• Clyde says:

The lovely Mrs.Clyde and I both, as well, are retired. She got her first regular job in a clothier at age 14. I was working for our local rubbish collector the summer I turned 12. If hard, dirty work killed, I SHOULD have been DEAD then!! Especially when I got home, and Mom met me at the door!! Thanks, Wendy.

Clyde, great essay. Not even one cuss word. I am impressed!

Sadly, the fruits of all the hard work and sacrifice by those before us, and most of our generation, is lost on the younger ones as few don’t even know how to get there. The takers are soon to overwhelm the makers. That is truly a terrible American legacy.

• Clyde says:

“Not even one cuss word. I am impressed!” Thanks, Nox. You old bastard you, that’s a real nice f@$%&*g thing to say! bwahahahahahahaha

4. Great essay, Clyde. Well and succinctly done~!

5. Mrs AL says:

Wow. Clyde you hit some vital points here. Thanx so much. Unfortunately, ‘Labor Day’ is really a thing of the past. We don’t have enough laborers any longer to really celebrate our toil, sweat and successes.

• Clyde says:

“We don’t have enough laborers any longer to really celebrate our toil, sweat and successes”. Take a bow, Mrs. Al. Spot-on. thanks for the compliment, and excellent comment.

Gee, I wish I was at the beach! That was a very good essay, Clyde.

Maybe we should change “Labor Day” to “Free Market Capitalism Day.” That’s a day that everyone should appreciate.

• Clyde says:

Thanks much,CW. We took the dogs to the beach, and had a ball with the hirsute bastards. “Free Market Capitalism Day.” Now I LIKE the sounds of that. Can just envision exploding liberal heads at the sound of it. good one.

• garnet92 says:

Not a chance, Clyde. Now if the name were changed to “Greedy, Filthy Capitalist Day,” That might catch on with the left.

They use the term “capitalist” as a pejorative, and on a par with racist. They just will never admit that capitalism is what made this country great and what has resulted in their freedom to live comfortably, even while criticizing the hand that feeds them.

Thanks, Terry. Indeed we are, even if THEY don’t realize it.