Downplay Party?

Here is Governor Pence of Indiana.  His message is straightforward.

What I want you to focus on is … the word “Republican(s).”  Now image how powerful this message would be if the word “Republican(s)” was not heard.  Just eliminate it. Perhaps a wider audience would listen or at least be open to the message.

There are many more regular joes and josies like me than there are hard-core party people.  If the Republican Party wants to make head-way, it’s my humble opinion they need to downplay party politics per se.

Quiz Question:  Can you cite the line that is my favorite in this video?  haha

And what are your thoughts about this?

~ Mrs. AL

Tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Downplay Party?

1. western guy says:

Mrs. AL, nothing right now, just getting checked into the new site…more later

2. western guy says:

Ok, I have played it through…your favorite, hmmm, 3 possibles, 2:24 to 2:29, 2:34 to 3:39, 2:53 to 2:54….am I anywhere close?

3. western guy says:

that is 2:34 to 2:39…

• Mrs AL says:

Well you are much more precise than me, Western Guy. CW below has it right. My middle name is “The states created the federal government.”

Good to see you here at ‘Nox and Friends’ new site!

Good post, Mrs. Al. I CAN answer the question. IF the stupid asses LEADING this moribund party could wrap their moon bat brains around two things, the republican brand could possibly enjoy a re-birth. ONE: Get over the notion that you HAVE to agree with the leftist loon democrats. When their ideas are BAD, expose that, and explain it. THEN, have a VIABLE plan. TWO: STOP listening to the N.Y./ D.C. consultancy and media cabals. THEY are THE biggest impediment today to the CONSERVATIVE message getting out. Ronaldus Magnus WON on unbridled conservatism, NOT a watered-down democrat platform. Remember it, live it, USE it.

• Mrs AL says:

Thanx, Clyde. Indeed, the ‘conservative message’ gets lost in all the party blame game any more. What frustrates me is that members of both parties seem to “hide” behind the party labels. What a bunch of immature humanoids.

I agree with CW. The states created the federal Government. That point was forgotten long ago. Now there’s push-back because some states are reaffirming their 10th Amendment rights.

Clyde is spot-on too. Conservatism is a winner everywhere it is tried. The only time it fails is when the RINOs get involved just like with Bush 41.

• Mrs AL says:

Yea, I guess it’s pretty easy to pick out my favorite line. And in addition to “reaffirming their 10th Amendment rights,” they need to start asserting their authority! IMHO, this government is now squarely pitted against the States and We the People.

• Hardnox says:

Exactly right. One need only see the suits brought forth against the States concerning Voter Laws, Border Security, Profiling, Illegals, Education, etc. The present admin are nothing but gangsters bent on destroying Redstate strongholds. Case in point: Rhode island has had a long standing law barring illegals and their activities. Not a peep from the DOJ. Hypocrites!

All of us are A.L., Mrs. A.L.

In the case of Pence’s GOP address, the whole point was to promote the GOP. So when you ask how his response would change if he were in an interview, that would depend on if the topic of the interview was something other than the GOP. If the topic were state’s rights, for example, maybe it would make more sense to approach it as a United States issue rather than a republican issue.

I think the question of the two-party system brings up a dilemma that I personally don’t see a solution for. Elections being a game of numbers, I assume the whole “party” system evolved as people realized the way to win was to build a coalition and get people to identify with a party rather than a candidate. Now that people understand that’s the secret to the game, I don’t see it ever changing and as evidence of that we see the party system in elections all around the world.

Once you have your party the trick is to gather in as many people as you can, to win by virtue of quantity, not quality. This results in the rare opportunity to get to vote for a candidate that truly stands for your values. Democrats have succeeded in building a pretty solid voting block and they’re frantically trying to buy their way to an even bigger voting block with our tax money as we speak. You can’t win the game unless you can overcome that, which means that a divided party faces an enormous challenge. And of course, in the even that we really could forego party and simply vote from among a long list of candidates, there is always the question of perceived legitimacy in the not unlikely event someone were to win with say, just 20% of the vote.

Well that was a very rambling answer, Mrs. A.L. I’m interested in hearing your thoughts.

• Mrs AL says:

I’m not ignoring you, CW, I am munging on my reply as I want to make is as pithy as possible. And no, you don’t ‘ramble.’

• Mrs AL says:

So sorry, CW, got side tracked with life. This response to you will seem simplistic, but that is what I try and do, cull things down to their essence when I can.

You are correct, CW, getting votes is a numbers game. And the game today appears to be that small percentage who have been swinging elections for a time now (apx. 5%, I think). Given this situation, would it not be more productive if Republicans stopped playing the game of “political party we-them” and present a message based upon sound reasoning, not a mere party line?

You wrote in response to imagining the Governor not using the word “Republican(s)”, “If the topic were state’s rights, for example, maybe it would make more sense to approach it as a United States issue rather than a republican issue.” I suggest that even in the context of offering a Republican address, it’s not necessary to invoke the word Republican(s). Use of any word/name which draws attention away from the topic or POV is counterproductive. The only way to get those votes (and maybe even persuade a marginal Democrat) is to do precisely what you suggest, “ … approach it (issue) as a United States issue …”

I may be all wet, but I really believe this would help in the long run. It’s time to get the issue on the front burner and put the party mongering on the back burner. I humbly suggest this may be one way to get through to that small percentage of folks given the media is (by and large) in the leftists pockets.

That’s as short as I can make it, CW. Hope something made some sense.

Experiment if you have nothing else to do (hahaha) – ask several people who share and several people who don’t share your political bent what comes to mind when you say, “Republican.” And then, what else comes to mind. It’s an interesting exercise.

• CW says:

You ask, “…would it not be more productive if Republicans stopped playing the game of “political party we-them” and present a message based upon sound reasoning, not a mere party line?”

The dilemma is buried within your question. By definition a Republican is “a member or supporter of the Republican Party.” He/she is not necessarily a conservative and will not necessarily share the same views on issues as other republicans, as evidenced by the different positions adopted by Rand Paul and John McCain, for example.

I think the real problem is that the GOP doesn’t know what it stands for as a party because it keeps blurring the issues in an effort to “broaden the tent.” Ostensibly the GOP has a mission statement which includes such goals as limiting government and restoring the Constitution, but then it promotes candidates like McCain and Romney who’ve proven that they won’t advance those objectives. I believe that the mission for conservatives should not be to ignore party but to take control of it by insisting on candidates who actually fit the mission.

• Mrs AL says:

I can’t disagree with anything you have said, CW. I am focusing more on the language used to communicate with the general Citizen public, not just “party” people or those who vote simply b/c there is a D or R next to the candidate’s name. Widening the tent is not necessarily a function of changing or watering down one’s position. I perceive it as a function of communication. As we have all said on occasion, words matter.

7. bullright says:

Excellent federalism message. I would downplay the Republican GOP words. (conservative is not yet trashed) The real “alternative” is the people and states. But while that is America’s message, the subliminal message from Republicans is always “just give us our power back”. They don’t realize people are smart enough to read lips.

“Survival mode” covers it. But, DC “hurting efforts being made in states across the country” is part of their intention.

• Mrs AL says:

Good to see ya’, Bullright. Thanx for coming by and commenting. You have been putting up some doozies.

Actually, Bullright, if it were up to me, I would nix the word “conservative” in certain contexts as well. Having interviewed and done extensive language analysis over the years, I can say with confidence that there is a segment of the population out there that would rally around an issue in a nano second, but when that issue is placed within the context of Party or conservatism, etc they back off because they don’t want to be associated with that.

Oh well, I could be so far off base it’s not funny. Then again, maybe I am just ahead of my time — BIG HAHAHA

8. pepperhawk says:

Mrs. Al, I no longer believe in the Republican party. They’ve failed us too many times and what we have now stinks.

• Mrs AL says:

Yes, it does become wearisome, doesn’t it, Pepperhawk. I guess where I net out is that for the most part, the electeds no longer represent their constituents. They are about managing situations such that they can get re-elected. In addition to power over others, I guess there is a lot of money to be made being a Rep or Senator.

Thanx for your recent posts also. You caldron stirrer you — hehe